Gaza civilian death toll surges as UN chief demands fighting stop

The civilian death toll across Gaza, Lebanon and the West Bank continued to climb Friday as United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres issued his starkest warning yet, declaring bluntly that “the fighting must stop.” UN agencies reported a sharp deterioration in conditions across all three territories, with humanitarian workers struggling to reach wounded civilians and deliver basic supplies.

Gaza: Airstrikes and mounting casualties

Israeli airstrikes hit multiple locations across Gaza on Friday, with local health authorities reporting at least 34 people killed in strikes on residential areas in Khan Younis and Rafah within a single 24-hour period. The overall death toll in Gaza since October 2023 has now surpassed 43,000, according to the Hamas-run health ministry. More than 70 percent of those killed are reported to be women and children, though Israel disputes those figures.

Aid convoys are still being blocked or delayed at crossing points. The World Food Programme said it managed to deliver food to just 9 percent of the population it had targeted this week — a fraction of what’s needed.

Lebanon: Cross-border strikes intensify

In Lebanon, Israeli military operations continued in southern border towns and Beirut’s southern suburbs. The Lebanese health ministry reported 22 civilian deaths on Friday alone, pushing the total since Israel’s ground offensive expanded last month past 1,200. Entire villages in the south have been emptied. The UN estimates roughly 1.2 million people have been displaced inside Lebanon, many sheltering in schools, parks and unfinished buildings with little food or clean water.

But it’s not just the south. Strikes reached areas near Sidon on Friday that hadn’t previously been targeted, rattling residents who thought they were beyond the conflict’s reach.

West Bank: A quieter crisis drawing less attention

The situation in the West Bank is receiving far less international coverage, yet it’s deteriorating fast. Israeli military raids on the Jenin and Tulkarm refugee camps have intensified in recent weeks, with Palestinian health officials reporting at least 11 deaths there this week. Settler violence has also spiked, with the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs documenting 94 separate settler attacks on Palestinian communities in October alone.

The fighting must stop.

That was Guterres’ message Friday, stripped of diplomatic softening. A UN spokesperson said the Secretary-General was “deeply alarmed” by the pace of civilian casualties and warned that international humanitarian law was being “systematically disregarded” across the region.

What comes next

Ceasefire negotiations involving Qatar, Egypt and the United States have stalled repeatedly, and there’s no clear sign they’ll resume soon. American officials privately acknowledge they have limited leverage over Israeli military decisions, while Hamas hasn’t signaled flexibility on hostage terms. European governments are pushing for emergency Security Council sessions, though any binding resolution faces a likely U.S. veto.

For the families caught in the middle of all this — in Gaza’s rubble, Lebanon’s displacement camps, or the West Bank’s raided neighborhoods — the diplomatic maneuvering feels very far away.

Similar Posts