Hamas disarming could restart peace plan, but doubts linger

A potential agreement involving Hamas disarmament has emerged as what some analysts are calling the most significant diplomatic development in the Gaza conflict since January’s ceasefire — but the path forward remains murky, and key players are still not speaking with one voice.

What we know about the deal

US President Donald Trump announced the agreement, framing Hamas’s potential disarmament as a gateway to broader regional stability. Yet Israel has said almost nothing publicly about the arrangement. Behind the scenes, a political source told AFP on July 31 that Israel won’t withdraw from the Gaza Strip until it sees Hamas’s “genuine disarmament” — a phrase doing a lot of heavy lifting right now. It’s a condition that raises immediate questions about sequencing, verification, and who exactly gets to decide when disarmament is real enough.

FRANCE 24 correspondent Noga Tarnopolsky described the development as a possible “first step forward” since the ceasefire took hold earlier this year. That’s a cautious read, and probably the right one.

Why this moment matters

The ceasefire that began in January brought an end to 15 months of intense fighting that killed more than 46,000 Palestinians, according to Gaza health authorities, and left vast stretches of the territory in ruins. It also left the fundamental question of who governs Gaza completely unresolved.

Hamas disarming would be the first concrete move toward answering that question. But the group has never willingly surrendered its military infrastructure before, and there’s no publicly confirmed mechanism for how such a process would even work — who would monitor it, how long it would take, or what guarantees Hamas would receive in return.

Still, the fact that any agreement is being discussed at all represents a shift.

Israel’s silence speaks volumes

Tel Aviv’s public silence is striking. Officially, the Israeli government hasn’t confirmed, denied, or elaborated on the reported deal. That’s either strategic ambiguity or internal disagreement — possibly both. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu faces significant pressure from far-right coalition partners who have opposed any arrangement that stops short of Hamas’s total destruction.

“Disarmament without a clear political framework is just a word,” one regional diplomatic official said, speaking on condition of anonymity. “The details will determine whether this is history or headlines.”

What comes next

Even optimistic observers aren’t predicting a smooth road. Any genuine disarmament process would likely take months, require international oversight, and demand political courage from parties that have shown precious little of it lately. And the humanitarian situation in Gaza — where more than 1.9 million people remain displaced — can’t wait for diplomacy to catch up.

Trump’s announcement has injected momentum, but momentum without structure has collapsed before in this conflict. The coming weeks will show whether this agreement has real architecture behind it, or whether it’s another fragile moment that quietly disappears.

Similar Posts