Trump warns Iran deal talks are ‘last chance’ before ‘decapitation’
Donald Trump escalated his rhetoric against Iran on Tuesday, declaring that ongoing negotiations represent Tehran’s final opportunity to reach a deal on its nuclear programme and access to the Strait of Hormuz before the US resorts to what he described as “decapitation” — a term widely interpreted as a reference to targeted strikes against the country’s leadership.
The warning came despite Iran’s foreign ministry flatly denying that any formal talks were underway, creating a sharp public contradiction between the two governments over the basic facts of diplomatic contact.
Trump insists talks are happening
Speaking from the Oval Office, Trump said intermediaries had been exchanging messages between Washington and Tehran for at least two weeks. He didn’t name the go-betweens, but US officials later indicated Oman had again stepped into its familiar role as a back-channel broker. Iran’s foreign minister, Abbas Araghchi, pushed back within hours, saying his government had received no formal proposal and was not engaged in direct or indirect negotiations with the Trump administration.
That’s a significant gap. And it raises real questions about whether Trump is describing a genuine diplomatic process or attempting to pressure Tehran publicly into accepting terms it hasn’t yet agreed to discuss.
The ‘decapitation’ threat
The word Trump used — decapitation — landed hard. In military and intelligence circles, it refers specifically to the killing or removal of a government’s top leadership, not simply a strike on nuclear facilities. Trump used it twice in under three minutes, and the White House did not walk it back afterward.
It’s the kind of language that hasn’t been used openly by a sitting US president in this context before.
A senior administration official, speaking on background, told reporters that the president’s comments were “intentionally direct” and meant to signal that the window for diplomacy was genuinely closing. The official put that window at roughly 60 days, though did not explain how that figure was reached.
Nuclear programme and the strait at the centre
The two core issues Trump cited were Iran’s advancing nuclear programme — the IAEA estimates Tehran now has enough enriched uranium to produce several warheads if it chose to weaponise — and shipping access through the Strait of Hormuz, through which roughly 20% of the world’s oil supply passes. Iran has repeatedly threatened to close the strait in the event of a military confrontation.
Oil markets responded immediately. Brent crude climbed $3.40 a barrel within two hours of Trump’s remarks, settling around $87.
What comes next
Regional allies, including Saudi Arabia and the UAE, are watching closely. Both have coastline exposure to any conflict in the Gulf and significant economic stakes in keeping the strait open. European governments have so far said little publicly, though diplomatic sources in Brussels described private concern about the tone of Trump’s language.
Whether Iran responds with a counter-offer, a harder line, or continued silence will likely determine the pace of events over the coming weeks. But with Trump’s track record of rapid escalation, few analysts expect the situation to stay static for long.
